Garlic Scapes with Red Bell Peppers and Shiitake Mushrooms
- 4 cups garlic scapes flower heads removed and discarded, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into thin 1 inch strips
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms stems removed, caps sliced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan, add the scapes, cover and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove the scapes from the water and plunge them into an ice bath for 2 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat one tablespoon of the oil over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté them until they are just beginning to brown.
- Add the second tablespoon of oil to the pan and add the scapes, bell pepper strips, salt and pepper.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes or until the scapes and peppers are heated through
- Place on a serving platter and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.